Shoulder Sleeve Insignia Distinctive Unit Insignia
The 2d Theater Signal Brigade, the Brigade of Excellence, was originally constituted in France as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 3348th Signal Service Group on Oct. 24, 1944. It saw service in Europe until March 13, 1946 when it was inactivated.
The group was reactivated in May 1946 at Fort Monmouth, and was re-designated the 2nd Signal Service Group. In 1955, the group was inactivated at Camp Gordon, Georgia. The group remained inactivated until June 21, 1961 when it was activated as the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 2nd Signal Group at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, where it served until being alerted for movement to the Republic of Vietnam in the spring of 1965.
From 1965 until 1971, the group provided Army area signal support for U.S. combat forces in Vietnam and participated in fourteen campaigns. The unit was twice awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation for its service during this time. On Oct. 23, 1971, the 2nd Signal Group was inactivated at Fort Lewis, Washington until it was again activated in Europe on June 1, 1974 to assume responsibility for communications in the northern half of Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, and England. The 2nd Signal Group was re-designated as 2nd Signal Brigade on Oct. 1, 1979.
The 2d Theater Signal Brigade is currently organized into five signal battalions and one civilian support group. Each of the five signal battalions provide communications and automations support to warfighters within its respective area of responsibility (AOR). These AORs cover nine countries; England, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany, Italy, Bosnia, Kosovo, and Romania, and is the singular provider for all voice, data and automation support for more than 100 units spread throughout Europe.
The Soldiers, Civilians, Local Nationals and Family Members of the 2d Theater Signal Brigade continue to demonstrate daily as their motto reflects, that they truly are the “Brigade of Excellence.”